The Bay Area Teacher Training Institute (BATTI) is a two-year elementary school combined masters and credential program under the sponsorship of University of the Pacific, Stockton. Our students work as paid, full-time assistant teachers in one of 25 independent schools in the Bay Area while taking university credential classes two evenings a week. Close supervision from thoughtful, experienced mentors and supervisors creates an atmosphere of reflection, collegiality, and support.
Why is BATTI a good choice for your teaching credential?
- In addition to their credential theory classes, BATTI students have the opportunity to develop their skills in a classroom environment and "learn by doing."
- The program offers excellent mentorship through its lead teacher/mentors and BATTI supervisors.
- The small cohort group is inspiring and encouraging.
- Our students take a careful and thoughtful approach to becoming teachers and emerge from their two years of training confident and prepared.
- Our graduates get good jobs in public and private schools. We are proud to say that 80% of them are still in the classroom!
- In our two year program, you get both a CA multiple subject teaching credential and a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction.
How do I find out about the program?
Prospective students are asked to attend one of our information sessions in order to learn about the program in full and receive application materials. At the session you will also receive a contact list and suggestions that will help you apply to the coalition schools.
What if I live at a distance from the Bay Area?
If you are applying from out of the area, please contact the director by email, send a resume, and watch our information session on youtube. (The video above is the first of the four short videos) Phone calls, skype interviews, and if possible, a March or April visit, help out-of-the area applicants get into our program and obtain the required job.
Important: Please download the admissions packet here.
We want you to join us!
BATTI seeks to diversify the teaching ranks by attracting more males and teachers of color into the profession. BATTI is an exciting choice for a credential program, and is dedicated to attracting good teachers to the profession and helping them thrive.
Bob Houghteling, Executive Director
6134 Harwood Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618